[Info-vax] Problem with sem_open() call

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Sep 21 13:48:21 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-21 17:20:51 +0000, Alexander Saprykin said:

> Are here in the group any developers from the VMS Software to check it
> in the VMS source? I don't know whom to contact to clarify this issue.
> I still unsure if it is a bug or not, maybe underlying (I guess)
> Distributed Lock Manager need to be configured or something else.

Folks from VSI do follow this newsgroup.   They will probably see this
thread.    As for HPE, you'd have to have somebody with a support
contract log a call.   Same path (officially) for reporting bugs and
requesting fixes from VSI, too.

> I mean it is a primary use case of the POSIX named semaphores, I do not
> believe they released a new API without testing it. If it is a bug, it
> can affect lot of other software which can be potentially ported on
> OpenVMS.

I don't see an error in your code, and I do see the misbehavior, and
that's with fairly recent OpenVMS Alpha running on a supported Alpha
box.   Which usually means there's a bug in the code, and a gap in the
testing.   OpenVMS has had its share of bugs over the years, as have
other platforms.