[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Sep 21 13:23:18 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-21 14:31:47 +0000, Chris said:

> On 09/21/16 12:16, Dirk Munk wrote:
>
>> No, not with IPv6. You really don't want IPv6 <> IPv6 NAT, that is
>> totally against the principles of IPv6.
>
> That's great from an idealistic tech point of view, but in the real
> world, do you really think organisations will toss out all their IPV4
> routers, switches etc and rebuild the whole system just to use IPV6 ?.

Yes, we do.   Not immediately.   But it's happening.   In the real
world, I expect folks to replace their older gear as warranty and
support ends, or as the gear itself fails, or as the gear no longer
meets their needs.   So, yes, I expect to see newer devices.  It'll
take — it's already taken — a very long time for this to happen, and
some users and some vendors will try to avoid this.

> No, they will use IPV6 where there is a good business case and the rest
> of the infrastructure will stay at V4 until it's time to upgrade the
> whole network, or for very good reasons. It's cost, cost and cost
> every time vs real benefit. Network kit vendors will produce edge
> routers with V6 at the wan and both V4 and 6 for the internal networks.

We're already running IPv4 and IPv6 dual-stack all over the place.
Systems with macOS and Windows clients and more than a few Linux
systems are already running both.   This is already the case on most
networks, whether the users realize it.  Transparently.   If sites can
get away with running just IPv4, great for them.    In the US, more
than a few are kept with IPv4 uplinks by their ISPs, due to no small
investment in gear.   But for not the first time I've had to state this
around comp.os.vms or other discussions, OpenVMS itself needs to move
forward.   Or it dies.  The market for folks depending on older
software and older hardware and on IPv4-only configurations will only
shrink over time, and newer software and newer systems and newer
network widgets have to deal with our current and upcoming needs.
End-user customers can ignore this.  At their discretion, or at their
own peril.   ISPs can try to defer this.   Software and hardware
vendors and software developers cannot, however.   Not without risking
getting caught out.