[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Craig A. Berry craigberry at nospam.mac.com
Wed Sep 21 15:25:15 EDT 2016

On 9/20/16 7:45 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> On 9/20/2016 4:47 AM, Dirk Munk wrote:

>> If you want to reach a device on your LAN from the internet, you address
>> a certain port number on the WAN address of your router, and by means of
>> port forwarding it will be translated to an IP address and port number
>> on your LAN. You will all be familiar with this concept.
>
> And every residential ISP I have had in the last 20 years in the U.S.
> has a Terms Of Service (TOS) absolutely prohibiting this type of access.

You've had very bad luck as I've never seen that. However, I have been
in the big city (Chicago), where there are mulitiple ISPs competing for
business, including SOHO business, which they often explicitly mention
in their advertising for residential services.

Comcast's residential agreement is here:

<http://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html>

As far as I can tell that applies U.S.-wide and is not specific to my
location. It's very long and I'm not about to spend the whole day
reading it, but I did note in 17.2.c that they exclude themselves from
liability for anything that happens to you as a result of someone on the
Internet accessing your equipment via "certain applications" with FTP
and HTTP given as examples of those applications. Which essentially
assumes that you are running a server.

While the entrenched players win many of the battles over decent
Internet access in the U.S., they don't win all of them. Google Fiber
just won the second round of its fight that would allow it to deploy in
Nashville without having to fight AT&T one telephone pole at a time:

<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/att-comcast-fail-in-latest-effort-to-stall-google-fiber-in-nashville/.