[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Sep 23 09:49:46 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-22 22:41:55 +0000, Dirk Munk said:

> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> Would it have been better if I had added a "what was an extra-cost..."?
>>   It was intended to be a comment on how we got here.
>
> How we got here is indeed an interesting question. VSI was working on a
> new IP stack, it should have been ready by now. Was that a completely
> new stack, and what happened to it? Or were they negotiating with
> Process Software all the time?

That's a "sausage factory" discussion.   Great for a hallway
conversation and a chuckle or an "inside OpenVMS" podcast or three, but
AFAICT and pragmatically — like project code names or the rest — not
the sort of information that any of us can really use.

Drag the platform forward, make it better and more integrated and the
design and APIs and the user interface less of a manure fire, tell us
what we need to do to adapt to the new ways, and what the window for
the migration is, and what the deprecation window for the old is...

Downside: some folks seemingly can't make a migration decision in two
years, some simply can't do a production rollout but once or twice a
year at most and with all the insecurity that increasingly entails.

Getting folks used to moving faster and upgrading faster — if the
changes are valuable and the results are stay stable — is a good thing,
though.