[Info-vax] VSI and Process Software announcement

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Sun Sep 25 07:43:29 EDT 2016

Kerry Main wrote:
> [...]

You're absolutely right. I've worked in an environment where everything
was set up with easy to deploy templates. etc. The result was that no
one understood what they were doing, they didn't understand all these
settings because they didn't have to think about them. If there were
problems, they didn't know where to look, or how to fix the problems.

That is the strange discrepancy. We want more and more intelligence in
the OS and tooling, requiring competent staff, and when we have to
deploy a system, any monkey must be able to do so without any insight of
what he is doing.

I remember an Alpha 8400 cluster with a 4GB memory per system, huge in
those days. It didn't perform well. The cache setting as still at the
default 3MB (afaik), many batch jobs were set for a maximum memory usage
of 2.5MB. Why? Nobody knew, "I don't know, it has always been like that"

I can give you many more examples like that, with Unix, Linux, Windows,
it doesn't matter. Incompetent staff that has no idea what they are
doing, trained to invoke scripts, not to understand what the scripts are
doing.