[Info-vax] VSI and Process Software announcement

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun Sep 25 15:36:41 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-25 11:43:29 +0000, Dirk Munk said:

> Kerry Main wrote:
>> You seem to want to make it so easy that an end user could install an
>> OS into a prod environment.

Everybody has to go through this, just because we had to walk to school
all winter long, in the snow, up hill, both ways?

>> Imho, that is just crazy. Regardless of the method, I want experienced
>> SysAdmins to have their hands on new OS deployments. Yes, I know there
>> is work to be done to make it easier than it is today, but the bottom
>> line is there are just way to many variables and landmines that could
>> impact other OS's to let a rookie deploy a new OS to a prod environment.
>
> You're absolutely right. I've worked in an environment where everything
> was set up with easy to deploy templates. etc. The result was that no
> one understood what they were doing, they didn't understand all these
> settings because they didn't have to think about them. If there were
> problems, they didn't know where to look, or how to fix the problems.

I remember the uproar over the shift to depot repairs and board
swapping, too.   When the repair techs stopped using solder and a
'scope.

Welcome to modern computing technology.   We each — we all — depend on
the knowledge of other folks.   Of the code and the tools of others.
None of us are experts in everything.   We are increasingly integrating
our servers and software with more packages and tools and platforms.
Trying to make our configurations and deployments easier, more
manageable, more repeatable, and requiring less human interaction is
the goal that most of us have.

I'm glad that OpenVMS moved forward.   Part of moving forward is
keeping the best of the old ideas, and rethinking or replacing the
areas that are no longer advantageous.    That includes reworking or
rethinking or replacing the console serial line, and
manually-configured, local deployments booted from DVD, among other
approaches that seem increasingly antebellum.