[Info-vax] VSI and Process Software announcement

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 12:35:22 EDT 2016

On 09/26/16 00:21, Kerry Main wrote:

> Lots of systems have dedicated ILO's, mgmt. processors (including
> OpenVMS.. the Nautilus family of VAX's had separate Pro380 PC's),
> but Steve's point was that these separate mgmt. functions and
> serial consoles are a thing of the past. I disagree.

The advantage of network based ilom is that it fits in well with
existing infrastructure and if it has it's own dedicated hardware
interface, is easy to aggegate and secure into an isolated
management subnet. While serial consoles are ok, some are rj45,
some are db9, which makes it difficult to find a common solution.
Also, you then need a serial to tcp server to get the whole lot onto
the network. There are still times though, when only a laptop
into the console port can get the job done...

Regards,

Chris