[Info-vax] VSI and Process Software announcement

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:27:16 EDT 2016

On 09/26/16 19:10, Kerry Main wrote:

> The advantage of a serial is that, like TCPIP for networking,  it
> is a lowest common standard for consoles to almost every IT
> device (network, storage, servers, appliances). While console
> outputs might differ between DB9/RJ45, the adapters to each are
> common and available in any local computer shop.

I agree, console access is essential, but I need to have network
access. There 7 devices here with serial ports. Found a Moxa
8 port Moxa remote rs232 tcp server. The main problem was
that the Mox box rj45 are not compatible with the usual Cisco / Sun
console pinouts. Some consoles needed db9, while others needed
RJ45 Sun pinout, but wanted to use standard network pin to pin
Sun console cables. It would have been a pain to make all those
cable, so found a 16 port rj45 patch panel, half an hour wiring
it up in pairs to translate the pinouts and voila, standard cheap
cables finish the job