[Info-vax] product not installing

hb end.of at inter.net
Tue Sep 27 16:26:02 EDT 2016

On 09/27/2016 09:43 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     I have copied into the directory dua0:[000000] a product called cc064.a
> and one called cc064.b. Version 6.4 of the C compiler. I try to run
> vmsinstal to install or attempt to install the kit. It will not work because
> I am sure the memory pages aren't set correctly but I will get to that. I am
> merely trying to get vmsinstal to work.
>
>     I type '@sys$update:vmsinstall cc064.a' and vmsinstal attempts to
> install.
>
>     It wants to know if I am satiffied with my backup I answer 'yes' the
> default. It asks where the product kit is.
>
>     I respond dua0:[000000] the MFD were the kit is. vmsinstal responds it
> can't find it. I am ethier in the directory dua0:[000000] or [sysmgr]
> directory which also has a logical name. I also notice shutdown doesn't work
> after this. What am I doing wrong?

You copied the save sets CC064.A and CC064.B of the product CC version
064 aka 6.4. VMSINSTAL expects the product name with or without the
version, which is CC064 or CC - not a save set file name.

But I can only guess, as you didn't really show what you typed and what
was printed on the screen: a '@sys$update:vmsinstall' will give an
%DCL-E-OPENIN, error opening SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSUPD]VMSINSTALL.COM; as input
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
So how can I know what you entered as the product name?

Shutdown works as expected, only the symbol 'shutdown' was deleted, the
symbol which - guessing again - you used to run sys$system:shutdown.com.
After running VMSINSTAL there is no longer such a symbol because
VMSINSTAL deletes all global symbols not defined by VMS or VMSINSTAL.
Log out after running VMSINSTAL and log in again, then you have all
these symbols defined, again, including the 'shutdown' one.