[Info-vax] Free Alpha emulators running under Linux ?

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 07:04:00 EST 2022

In article <squj4j$h25$1 at dont-email.me>,
clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) wrote:

> It does raise one interesting question however: what does the
> concept of licencing units even mean when it comes to x86-64 VMS?

Oracle deals with this by charging for their database by the number of
processor cores you use, with a scaling factor based on the processor
model.

<https://www.oracle.com/assets/databaselicensing-070584.pdf>

<http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contracts/processor-core-factor-table-
070634.pdf>

It isn't a perfect system, as shown by the number of companies offering
to help optimise Oracle license costs, but it seems to work well enough.

John