[Info-vax] Free Alpha emulators running under Linux ?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Mon Jan 3 10:23:27 EST 2022

On 1/3/2022 6:03 AM, John Dallman wrote:
> In article <squj4j$h25$1 at dont-email.me>,
> clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) wrote:
>
>> It does raise one interesting question however: what does the
>> concept of licencing units even mean when it comes to x86-64 VMS?

I imagine they will do it the way they do Integrity licensing - probably per socket but maybe per core, or as with Integrity, they may give you a choice of one or the other when you buy the license.

> Oracle deals with this by charging for their database by the number of
> processor cores you use, with a scaling factor based on the processor
> model.
>
> <https://www.oracle.com/assets/databaselicensing-070584.pdf>
>
> <http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contracts/processor-core-factor-table-
> 070634.pdf>
>
> It isn't a perfect system, as shown by the number of companies offering
> to help optimise Oracle license costs, but it seems to work well enough.

Yes, most of the optimization comes from managing VH hosts - Oracle;s per core applies to the VM host, not the VM guest so that you have to make sure when you have a large installation that the VM guests with Oracle databases are limited to VM Hosts with the number of cores total that you have licensed.  At my work we have to do this all the time.  we have probably 20 VM Host systems running a few hundred VM Guests and of those about half have Oracle databases.  The server group has to be careful how the VM migration is set up to make sure our Oracle license capacity isn't exceeded.

--
John H. Reinhardt