[Info-vax] upgrading to VSI VMS---and back

Bob Gezelter gezelter at rlgsc.com
Thu Jan 6 16:35:52 EST 2022

On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 8:35:11 AM UTC-5, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <dd00205c-56dc-46b2... at googlegroups.com>, Bob
> Gezelter <geze... at rlgsc.com> writes:
>
> > The last version of HPE OpenVMS is Version 8.4, with UPDATE 15 being
> > the terminal update.
> Right. I have 8.4 but the last update I have is 5.0.
> > I am personally maintaining an IA64-based mixed version OpenVMScluster
> > running with 8.4 and 8.4-2L3 inter-operating on a minute to minute basis
> > without incident, with each version having a separate system volume.
> So VSI and HPE in the same cluster? Would that work with Alpha?
> > As a mixed-version OpenVMScluster it is, as I recall, supported
> > technically. Check the SPD on vmssoftware.com for the official position.
> Mixed-version clusters in general, yes. Mixed VSI/HPE, even on the same
> architecture? I'm not sure. I seem to remember that for Alpha/x86 one
> had to have Alpha from VSI, but you seem to be doing otherwise.
> > Direct upgrade of a system volume is supported, providing that the 8.4
> > system is at a minimum update level, the Installation and Upgrade
> > manual for the VSI release is explicit on that point.
> I'll have to check whether 5.0 is enough and if not if I can somehow get
> 15.0 or whatever. (Is that a cumulative patch or do I need to install
> something as a prerequisite?)
> > As to x86-64, my recollection from presentations is that Alpha/x86-64
> > and Itanium/x86-64 was "supported", but that Alpha/Itanium/x86-64 was
> > not, but I seem to recall seeing a SHOW CLUSTER output with all three
> > active.
> I have no Itanium machines and no plans to ever have them. Moving to
> VSI VMS on Alpha is mainly a prelude to moving to x86.
Phillip,

Mixed HPE/VSI definitely works. My recollection is that it says so in either Release Notes or the Installation Guide.

8.4 Update 15 is not needed for the update. It contains some patches that support newer peripherals. The Installation guide for 8.4-2Lx mentions what the minimum HPE 8.4 patch level is for an update to 8.4-2Lx.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com