[Info-vax] Meditech in the news

Bob Eager news0009 at eager.cx
Sun Jan 9 16:19:36 EST 2022

On Sun, 09 Jan 2022 12:14:28 -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:

>> Very true. I should've been clearer when referencing CAM. I'd like to
>> call out stem-and-list CAM as opposed to hashing &c. The difference is
>> storage organization around paths, not nodes. That's why I namechecked
>> REXX. I'm quite sure perl could do that as well.
>
> I have no idea what "stem-and-list CAM" is,

Probably 'stem and leaf'. CAM is 'content addressable memory'.

In REXX, for example, you can have a variable of the form:

   abc.def

abc is the stem and def is the leaf. Not very good terminology in REXX,
because you can extend that to abc.def.ghi.jkl etc...

So you can have abc.1, abc.2, abc.3, which gives you conventional arrays.
Obviously the leaf part can be a variable. But that variable doesn't have
to contain a number; it can be a string, for example. So:

   x = "Smith"

   dict.x = "Smith's details"