[Info-vax] Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Mon Jan 10 07:58:47 EST 2022

In article <b8be3c3f-f739-41ae-859a-a5b6ab8c4bccn at googlegroups.com>,
"alanfe... at gmail.com" <alanfeldman48 at gmail.com> writes:

> Looks like LSE has it, but not TPU! I don't see why that should be!
>
> I'm a bit surprised TPU/EVE/whatever doesn't have it. You'd think that
> it would be a rather popular feature! I mean, UNDO is rather common
> among many editors

I've used the QUIT/SAVE and editing the .JOU file then EDIT/RECOVER
maybe two or three times in my life.  I usually don't need it.  Quick
edit?  Just revert to the previous version of the file (and silently
mock those who don't use VMS).

For longer editing sessions, I periodically save the file without
exiting.  I do this in order to recover in case of a bad edit, but with
LaTeX, Fortran, etc., I like to compile frequently so that I catch any
typos.  Actually, for long sessions I use the command file below.  I've
defined GOLD-W as "EXT WRITE EDT_FILE." to make it quick.

$  DEFINE/USER_MODE EDT_FILE 'P1'
$  FILE = F$ELEMENT(0,".",P1)
$  TYPE = F$ELEMENT(1,".",P1)
$  JFL = FILE + "_" + TYPE
$  LEN = F$LENGTH(JFL)
$  IF LEN .GT. 39
$  THEN
$    START = LEN - 39
$    JFL = F$EXTRACT(START,39,JFL)
$  ENDIF
$  JFL = JFL + ".JOU"
$  IF F$SEARCH(JFL) .NES. ""
$  THEN
$    WSO ""
$    WSO "%EE-W-JRNLFE, journal file exists"
$    DATE = F$FILE_ATTRIBUTES(JFL,"RDT")
$    DIR/DATE=(C,M) 'JFL'
$    DIR/DATE=(C,M) 'P1'/SIN="''DATE'
$    DIR/DATE=(C,M) 'P1'/BEF="''DATE'
$    READ/PROMPT="Do you want to recover (Y/N, default is Y)? " -
      SYS$COMMAND ANSWER
$    ANSWER = F$EXTRACT(0,1,F$EDIT(ANSWER,"COLLAPSE,UPCASE"))
$    IF ANSWER .EQS. "N"
$    THEN
$      EXIT
$    ELSE
$      @ PROZDIR:RECOVER.COM 'P1'
$    ENDIF
$  ENDIF
$  DEFINE/USER_MODE SYS$INPUT SYS$COMMAND
$  DEFINE/USER_MODE EDT_FILE 'P1'
$  E/JOURNAL='JFL' 'P1'
$  EXIT