[Info-vax] Goodbye VAX

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Tue Jan 11 13:59:16 EST 2022

On 2022-01-11, Dave Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> On 1/11/2022 8:48 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2022-01-11, David Wade <g4ugm at dave.invalid> wrote:
>>> ... probably end up being extradited to the USA to face charges on
>>> things that happen outside the USA when we, the fully BREXITed UK can't
>>> manage to get US citizens to face charges for things they did in the UK..
>>>

>> That last part really sucks. She should never have been allowed to
>> flee the country.
>>

> Ya know, for someone who believes in following the rules, you sure are
> ambiguous.  I don't know much about that event, other than regardless of best
> efforts, shit still happens.  But, If you're going to subscribe to diplomatic
> immunity, you should not do so until you decide "maybe not".  As Yoda mentioned,
> do, or do not.  Nor do I have much of an opinion about the practice, but, as I
> mentioned, if you're going to have a rule, then follow it, always, not when you
> maybe want to.

That's because there's a very open question about whether she had
diplomatic immunity or not. She didn't have it for herself but claimed
she did as a result of her husband having it.

However the CPS disagrees:

>From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49984737

|The move to charge Mrs Sacoolas comes after a file was handed to the Crown
|Prosecution Service (CPS) on 1 November. The CPS said immunity did not
|apply to dependants of consular officials outside of London.

There are also some rumours that the UK government let her leave in
order to avoid an incident.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP