[Info-vax] VMSINSTAL user disk

Dave Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sun Jan 16 02:36:09 EST 2022

On 1/15/2022 7:48 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> Is it possible to install a VMSINSTAL kit in a user
> directory?
>
> If yes: how?
>
> Arne

To specifically answer your question, yes.  As a LD container.  Copy the data,
multiple ways.

But the question I think you really wanted to ask is can the media be installed
from a user directory.  That answer I think is no.

To install, one needs to boot the installation media.  That must be from a
device, as far as I know.

The method I and others have used is to move the installation media into a
directory and mount it as an LD device.  Then IMAGE restore it to an actual
disk.  Then boot that disk.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      E-Mail: davef at tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA  15486