[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

Dave Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu Jan 27 12:06:51 EST 2022

On 1/27/2022 8:52 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-24 23:22, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

>>> Funny how I always hear this.  I have done lots of overlays on
>>> Ultrix-11 (even for the kernel!) and never had any serious problems
>>> with them.  I even like them.  :-)
>>>
>>> bill
>>>

>> I never thought anything bad/good about them, the overlay feature
>> was just that, a feature of RSX-11M. I think the most "overlayed"
>> image I built was using both the RMS libraries and the DTR-11
>> callable library. It was mainly DTR-11 that added most overlays,
>> as I remember it. I think the FMS libs was used also...
>
> The "worst" of it is when you need to juggle things a lot in order to fit it all
> in. That can be quite an exercise. Multiple co-trees, figuring out dependencies,
> and writing the ODL file for it all.
>
> When I backported DUNGEON V3.2 to RSX, I really had to work hard on that.
> Probably the most complex thing I've ever done. I think I ended up with 10
> co-trees, and all kind of cruft. I would agree that they are not the most fun,
> but you sortof live with them and accept them. Sure, I can understand people who
> felt relief when moving to VMS, and never having to care about that again.
>
>   Johnny

Well, it's more than just "relief".  Though there is a whole big bunch of that.
It's the capability to get on with the "job" without all the jumping through
hoops.  With the expanded address space, it is not required to think about
fitting the task into memory, it's simply (as if) the straight progression of
what's required.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      E-Mail: davef at tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA  15486