[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG
Sun Jan 30 08:36:29 EST 2022

In article <st4sup$gh9$1 at gioia.aioe.org>, Richard Maher <maher_rjSPAMLESS at hotmail.com> writes:
>On 28/01/2022 4:08 am, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

>>> Pascal is acceptable, but Ada would be better. :-)
>>>
>>> On a more serious note, what would be an acceptable programming language
>>> for userland tools which need to be shipped as part of the operating
>>> system ?
>>>
>>> Let's look at the language options for creating a new userland level
>>> tool on VMS today:
>>>
>>> Macro-32 and BLISS are absolutely unsuitable for obvious reasons.
>>>
>>> Basic appears to be a poor choice when compared to the alternatives
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Ada is no longer available on VMS going forward.
>>>
>>> C is suitable, but is low-level.
>>>
>>> C++ is a possibility (provided a sane subset of the language is used).
>>> However, am I the only one who finds that C++ compilers across all
>>> operating systems get slower and slower as new versions some out ?
>>> Look at how long it takes to compile the LLVM toolkit for example. :-(
>>> :-(
>>>
>>> Pascal is also very much a possibility.
>>>
>>> Fortran and COBOL are not suitable for writing operating system userland
>>> tools.
>>>
>>> So what programming language would you use for a new userland tool on VMS
>>> if you couldn't use Pascal ? As far as I can see, it's only C or maybe
>>> C++.
>>
>> I believe Basic would be a lot better than C.
>>
>> Arne
>>

>And COBOL is the besterest.
>
>And if you can program some MACRO then you need a Garbage Collect to
>cover up yor lack of skill in managing memory.

I've never needed "garbage collection" and I've written some very large and complex
products all in Macro!
--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG