[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:29:57 EST 2022

On 1/31/22 03:25, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-31 01:22, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2022-01-29, Scott Dorsey <kludge at panix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pascal is pretty limited but makes it hard to shoot yourself in the
>>> foot.
>>> And most implementations don't use null-terminated strings which are the
>>> most serious source of vulnerabilities in C code.
>>> --scott
>>>

>> I wouldn't call Pascal "limited". DEC used it to implement VAXELN...
>
> The problem is that the ISO standard for Pascal is pretty useless.

Pretty useless for what?  Tasks for which the language was not designed?

>                                                                     Which
> is why every useful Pascal have extensions...
> And they are all different...
> Which makes everything very non-standard...

Thus the reason they should have come up with new names and not called
themselves Pascal, which they were not.

> But Pascal is definitely not that bad a language. But it has it's warts...

Pascal is ideal for what it was designed for.  Too bad people still
don't understand the concept of "choose the right tool for the job".

bill