[Squaredancing] Subject: When in Rome

M0220sr at aol.com M0220sr at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 09:13:25 EDT 2005

My training with the "Tug and Twirl" is that there is a little tug
between dancers on the right hand (partner and opposite) for that
flourish.  I have never seen an "arm up" position on a Right and
Left Grand.
--
Larry Kilgallen

hehe...er...clarification:

What I meant is that the lady has her hand extended to you (palm facing away
from her) about shoulder height.  If she normally twirls on a RLG then she is
giving you the signal that she expects you to twirl her.  If I don't see that
I normally just do an easy pull-by motion.  Actually, the man doesn't really
have to do anything on a twirl as all he is doing is providing support for the
lady as *she* twirls under the joined hands.  My wife has arthitic hands and
has to announce before the tip even starts not to twirl her.  Some men are very
rough and I've heard several ladies at times complain that they have  a lot
of pain in their hands afterwards from those who like to twirl regardless of
the situation.

You would normally think square dancing is a fun activity and it is for the
most part.  It's just unfortunate that some people get their jollies in a
square by making it known to the opposite sex that *they* are in control and you
WILL abide by what they want to do. At that point other people get that "Oh
yeah?" attitude and then the tip is nothing but a wrestling match or a match of
wills set to music.

As far as the hands-up on Swing Thru's, our club adapted the
CALLERLAB-approved style of handholds long ago. It works for us.  We just feel that when we
have visitors, it is the visitors who should not mind using what the dancers in
our area use for a handhold in a wave instead of trying to make us dance like
they do when they are home.

I like the idea of using hands-down dancing A/C and can see that it would
produce less stress on the shoulders, etc.  I'll have to check with the A/C
dancers in our area and ask what they do.

Thanks for the info.

Richard M.