[Squaredancing] Is MWSD in trouble?

Clark Baker cmbaker at tiac.net
Sat Aug 27 18:38:54 EDT 2005

Over the course of 12 years Square Dancing in Springfield, MA grows to
40 clubs (with about 15 in Hartford, CT).  Some of the larger clubs are
dancing as many as 35 squares at an average dance, with greater
attendance for out-of-the-area guest callers, and many other clubs
dance 15 to 20 squares regularly.  Beginner classes are conducted each
year by each club, and twice yearly by many. Class size runs up to 15
squares in some cases.

Two years later it suddenly became almost impossible to recruit enough
new beginners to make it worthwhile holding a class, and attendance at
club dances drops alarmingly. Several clubs disband, many gave up their
classes, and many combined with other clubs for teaching. The two
largest, most successful clubs in the Springfield area can only round
up 9 couples for a class between them both. Attendance at all club
dances is at an all-time low, with only 1/3 to 1/4 of the previous
attendence.  What went wrong?

Perhaps your area is facing a similar problem.  Since sometime in the
1980's I have heard people say that square dancing is declining or that
square dancing is in trouble.  Others say that it is OK, or just a
cycle.  By the 1990's most were convinced that something isn't right
and that steps must be taken.  However, what to do?  Callerlab fiddled
with the lists.  Not much changed.  Year by year we have fewer dancers
and fewer clubs and the dance we do have are older.

What I find fascinating is that the first two paragraphs of this e-mail
were written almost forty years ago.  Not only that, but the author
described the current problems in great detail and proposed solutions
in even greater detail.  The first problem he faced was that no one
would listen to him.  Next, those that did thought he was wrong.
Finally, those who listened and thought he was right were unwilling to
make any changes!

With his permission I have posted his analysis of the problems at
http://www.tiac.net/~mabaker/western-style-in-trouble.html  I would be
interested in any discussions it engenders.

--------

Finally, if you have an interest in this area, and if you live in New
England I suggest that you attend the 2005 NECCA Clinic on Sunday,
September 18 at the Holiday Inn on Lincoln St in Worcester, MA.  Lubch
at 12:30 and talk from 2 to 4pm.  The topic is

 From Traditional to Contra to Modern Western Square Dancing -- How to
be successful

Our guest speaker is Ralph Sweet

We welcome all callers and dancers to this event.

See http://www.squaredance.ws/NSD_CVR.gif

--
Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
cmbaker at tiac.net