[Squaredancing] squaredance oldies

dave dave at daveswebplace.net
Wed Dec 7 09:09:56 EST 2005

Listening to the old recordings was great.  I started dancing in 1963, and
have a couple recordings from that time period, both 45s and at least one
78.

About 10-12 years ago one of our area callers brought his father's records
to a dance.  His father had been the club caller before him.  He warned us
ahead of time that we needed to do real back to back dosados, and he was
right.  A lot of the timing didn't fit if we did a swing (unless we knew
that dosado ended up facing, not side-by-side).

This past weekend I had the pleasure of dancing to Marshall Flippo, at the
Natural Bridge Holiday Dance-A-Rama.  He has been calling for 55 years.
During the weekend he used a few of his old tunes, but they were
re-releases, not the original 78s.

Dave Hinde

  _____