[Squaredancing] When in Rome.....

M0220sr at aol.com M0220sr at aol.com
Wed Dec 21 07:53:58 EST 2005

The last time I looked, Callerlab's styling was that dancers should have
Hands Up in wave-related formations. Now I know a lot of dancers today are taught
a variety of handhold styles - forearm, hands, hands up, hands down.  Some
dancers, for one reason or another usually don't even try to take your hand (or
just a glancing blow tap-like touch)  when changing formations and that often
leads to broken squares and unhappy dancers, unfortunately.

Everyone has their own style of handholds in their club. If your
caller/teacher teaches the forearm hold then your club most  likely dances with all
forearm holds.  Fine.  Another club in the next county, city, state, whatever, may
be taught hands up or hands only. Fine.

Here's the question:  Let's say you go to a special dance hosted by another
club.  You enter the door and get the door items out of the way and enter the
hall. You meet friends and chat for a while. The dancing starts. You, being
from Club A, are now dancing in Club B's hall.  You dance forearm hold; Club B
dances with "hands up" hold in wave-related formations.  Shouldn't you, the
"visiting" dancer,  adapt to the way Club B dances when the caller calls "Swing
Thru" or any type of movement to related to waves?  Or, just because your club
swings thru using forearms do you insist that Club B dancers adapt to your
style of dancing?

The club I'm in dances "hands up".  But when we go to festivals, conventions,
etc., we always adapt to the style of dancing the host club does.  If there
is ever a tip where four of our couples dance together then we dance hands up
as normal. But we don't force our style of dancing on other dancers just
because that is the way WE do it.

So I would be interested in knowing how you dance when visiting a club that
dances with handholds different from what you do in your home club.

I'd actually also like to know what you think of visiting dancers who come
into your club and "force" your arm into another position to adapt to THEIR
style of handhold in wave-related formations.

Richard