[Squaredancing] Re: Community Dance Program

Mike Gormley WA8VEC at ARRL.NET
Sun Mar 27 15:07:31 EST 2005

as338 at lafn.org wrote:

>On 27 Mar 05 at 1:46, Mike Gormley wrote:
>

>>I would be interested in hearing comments from anyone on the list who
>>has tried Callerlab's Community Dance Program.  I have an opportunity to
>>do just such a thing in Key West, Florida and am studying up on it all.
>>It will start in November when I get back down here.  For now, we will
>>be heading for Central Ohio for the next 6 months.
>>

>Mike,
>
>  In addition to getting Cal Campbell's book "Dancing For Busy People" do
>the following:

Already have.

>        Visit Heiner's (SquareKopp's) web site and get his CDP singing call
>        figures.  You'll owe him a cup of coffee if you use them, a very
>        reasonable price!  He has some other resources for calling CDP
>        level dances.

Ok

>        Join "Trad-Dance-Callers at yahoogroups.com" and ask questions, but
>        this assumes that you wish to call Contras and Traditional Squares.

Have been a member of this list for a number of years.

>        Also, try to get a copy of Don Armstrong's Contra Caller/Teacher
>        Manual, but this also assumes that you wish to call Contras.

I have a it.

>        Visit Jerry Story's web page (www.jerrystory.com, I think) and
>        download his "CRaMS" PDF file.  Then workout conversions using the
>        CDP commands.  They can ALL be done with just CDP calls, but
>        you'll cuss at some of them before you get them.  All his
>        positions are NORMAL LINES!  The CDP has no wave calls, no trades
>        no runs, no square thrus...  This activity will help you more than
>        anything else at calling MWSD type squares.

Been there once, but I will take a look at it again.

>  It should be fun.  If you're wanting to do a lot of traditional squares
>and contras, also visit the Lloyd Shaw foundation.  The callers on
>Trad-Dance-Callers will send you to other places as well.
>
>   BOB

I will look at that some more, also.

I also have:

CALLERLAB'S Community Dance Program book

"The Square Dance"  (Chicago Park District Square Dance Manual), 1950,
288 pages

"Sharing a Treasure of Dances" by Les Henkel, 1994

What I am really looking for is information more on implementation of
the program, the problems and solutions, advertising, how often the
dances are held (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly),  amounts charged per
person, refreshments or not, breaks or not, caller run or community run
(I am by myself and have no other help), time per session (One hour to
three hours or in between), etc.

Mike Gormley
Florida Keys