[Squaredancing] Recent Callerlab Convention

Clark Baker cmbaker at tiac.net
Thu Mar 31 11:16:11 EST 2005

Several have asked what happened at the recent Callerlab convention.
For those who have never attended, or were unable to attend this year's
convention, check out the following

http://www.callerlab.org/documents/callerlabdocs/Mini_Sdhed-
For_Hotel_(4).pdf

which will give you the schedule and

http://www.callerlab.org/documents/callerlabdocs/DIRECTION(2005)wpd.pdf

which will give you detailed descriptions of each session.  I know that
this tells you what "will" happen instead of "what happened", but it
gives you an idea of the types of stuff that is presented and discussed
in the interest sessions.  You can also see a list of those who
received recognition for calling 25 and 50 years.  As I have said
before, my handouts (Gimmicks, Hexagons, and the PPC Initiative speech)
are available at

http://www.tiac.net/~mabaker/

I am also happy to e-mail anyone my status report on the definitions
committee.

I strongly encourage callers to reserve the time and budget to attend
the next Callerlab convention (April 9 - 12 in the Admas Mark Hotel in
Charlotte, NC).  Those "in the know" come 2 days early for the Beginner
Party Leader seminars (on Saturday and Sunday).  I find the conventions
a great way to recharge your batteries and get enthused again about
square dancing.

If you are a dancer reading this, perhaps you can find a way to assist
your caller in attending.  I recommend a gift of the convention fee and
extra 2 day seminar (~ $230).  I am sure that Callerlab would be
willing to assist you in this effort.

If you are a dancer or caller reading this, perhaps you can find a way
to help newer callers to attend the convention.  The convention is not
just for "old farts" and "good ole boys" -- it is for all of us who
love this activity.  I hope to see you there.

--
Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
cmbaker at tiac.net