[Squaredancing] Border problems

CALLERTIM at aol.com CALLERTIM at aol.com
Mon May 2 11:38:58 EDT 2005

In a message dated 01/05/2005 3:18:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dave at daveswebplace.net writes:

I don't have any more details  on the problems.  He was scheduled to call in
Rochester, NY, and someone  else had to step into his place at the last
minute.  I was hoping someone  on this list could shed some more light on the
issue.

Hello Dave...thanks for the note...below is a brief explanation of  about a
week ago...as of today, I am seeking a Visa, and working on a petition  for a
judge. I have all my "stuff" back (that part was a bit of a  misinterpretation)
and I have a lawyer working on my behalf.

Thanks for the interest....wish me luck!!

I AM SORRY FOR THE SHORT NOTICE, but I regret that the US immigration
service has denied me entry to the United States for the purpose of calling for  a
period not less than my appeal and petition period.

On Saturday, I was to be calling in Rochester NY, then PA. While trying to
cross the border, and on a routine security check, the guard determined that I
was going to call a dance (which I was honest about) and then determined that
it  is a "job" and so I was denied entry, my possessions impounded and
returned to  Canada. I missed both Dances. Further they have denied my entry until a
 satisfactory position can be determined within the government to determine
if  the "cultural exchange" rules that we have enjoyed between our 2 counties
should  be empowered here or not.

In the meantime, they have restricted my access rights entirely.

I have spent 3 days with Lawyers and judges, petitioning them to grant me
either a B1V visa, or an E visa, and as of today, they have made no
determination. Currently I am in limbo, but I do know that crossing the border  to call a
dance would have me arrested.

Today, I was granted the right to enter only for recreational purposes, and
they cautioned me that my calling cannot be considered that until after the
petition period. I have applied for a US Visa at the cost of $1000us
application  fee plus legal costs. I am advised the process can be as short as 3 weeks,
and  as long as 3 years, and finally there is no guarantee.

I am so sorry to drop this on you, and I will call you all in the next few
days.

US security has dramatically affected cross border commerce, and it would
seem that there is no interpretation other than the letter of the law!

I SINCERELY wish there was more I could do! My deepest apologies.

Tim  Crawford
2229 Sunnyside Dr.
Burlington, ON, L7M 4K8
905 332  7597