[Squaredancing] [Arm Wrestling Anyone?]

Caller-G sdcaller1 at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 19 21:33:15 EST 2006

Oh yea,,,,,,, I sure have and have also had dancers come to me to complain about it too!
Here's my advice ,,,,,,,,,,

First,,,,, if a gentle comment to that dancer, such as 'take it easy please' doesn't work, then,,,,,,,,,
Look them straight in the eye... say "OW that hurts !!" (so only they can hear it),,,,,,,,
and if that doesn't get their attention, increase the volume of your voice so others hear it too.
Often the first one does it, but not always, so step up your 'voice' until they get the message!

As a Caller, it's one key area that I focus on from 'day 1' and keep on 'harping' (if I have to),
with both 'new' & experienced dancers.  If any dancer has arthritis in their hands it's MIGHTY
painful dancing with 'rough' dancer hand contact, and totally avoidable if everyone is being
considerate of each other!
Perhaps you may need to talk to your Caller & perhaps have him/her have a
general 'pep talk' to the assembled dancers about being 'considerate of other dancers'.

Geoff Clarke,
Carleton Place, Ontario,
Canada
Web: http://callerg.squaresandrounds.com