[Squaredancing] Discussion on the National in Charlotte

Bruce Morgan brucemorgan at embarqmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:29:50 EDT 2007

I thought it was a great convention.  The sound in the Live Band hall was
very bad on Wednesday night but was a lot better the remainder of the
convention.  The music in the Live Band Hall was just too loud most all the
time.  You had to really strain to hear the callers over and above the Band.
It was nice that they had the convention center people manning the
escalators so that in order to go down to them main dance halls you had to
have a Convention Badge on.  This eliminated a lot of non dancers just
milling around looking.  They were able to watch from window on the main
floor.

The food was excellent.  We even went to the mall across the street from the
convention center and ate 2 nights.  This place had at least 3 places that
were open almost all the times that the convention was open.  We really
enjoyed it.  There were a few fast food type places that were not open all
the times.  They were geared toward the working people.  Since our activity
is held almost at night these places were closed when we needed them the
most.  It would have been nice if they had been told and could have stayed
open.  I am sure they would have been busy.

All in all, it was a great convention. As for the dress code.  I think it
was a BIG mistake to ask people to leave because they weren't dressed as
required.  The, as required, is not spelled out so that everybody knows what
is required.  If we are going by the CallerLab description then most people
that were asked to leave probably met that requirement.  If this is going to
be enforced at future conventions then it needs to be stated well up front
as to what everybody is to wear.  If it is good for the dancers then the
callers, cuers, etc. need to be held to the same standards.  They are not
special people.  They should not get special treatment.

Bruce Morgan
Orlando, FL