[Squaredancing] Skirt style opinions

Cynde Sadler cynde at twistercom.fi
Wed Jul 4 05:50:17 EDT 2007

I felt like most females do when they start dancing that I would NEVER wear the trad dress but also began wearing them anyway. I think 'swishy-ness' is important in skirts and it's a pity if the petticoats are so outlandish that women go for the everyday slacks instead. It would make the whole thing very unspecial and that would be too bad. I for myself have gone more for the prairie type skirt (swishy ones!) and maybe that should be encouraged so skirts don't disappear all together! Many square dancers do not sport the tiny waists that are needed to handle the fluffy short skirts and elastic belts. I love skirt work and that is missing when we are at regular practice in our jeans.
If women lose the duds then the men may stop too. :(
Surely swishy styles with lots of detail can be designed in flattering cuts so women will want to wear them even in public (like running across the street without hiding their faces)
Cynde
Beltless in Helsinki (and below the knee hemmed)