[Squaredancing] Discussion on the National in Charlotte Dresscode

Dave Hinde dave at daveswebplace.net
Wed Jul 4 10:10:44 EDT 2007

I thought I'd throw a couple more logs on the clothing fire:

Cost is one consideration.  What is the cost to own enough dresses to attend
a National.  Do we want to eliminate the newest dancers from our Conventions
just because they don't own enough clothes?  How many women would like to
dress in "Square Dance" attire but can't afford enough dresses to attend a
National?  Nasser's idea of a dedicated hall is a good one for that reason.

When Square Dancing started out, hundreds of years ago, the dress was about
the same as the dancers would wear to church, and possibly to work.  The
same standard should apply today.  Common sense and common decency is the
only dress code that we really need.

About panels, dress code complaints did arise at one of the panels I was
moderating.  Since it was off topic, I steered us back on course, but not
before several people had agreed with the person that brought it up.  The
comment was that if you wanted the convention to be friendlier to solos and
younger dancers, get rid of the antiquated dress codes.

My suggestion: Worry about attendance figures.  When the numbers get back up
over 10,000, then start talking about a dress code.   Same thing with clubs.
If you have too many dancers attending your club dances, then enforce a
dress code.

One more thing -- The flyer for Wichita, Kansas, for next year's National
Square Dance Convention, says: Proper Square Dance Attire.  It does not say
Traditional or Modern, just "Proper".  I hope (anyone from Kansas reading
this?) that they put a full explanation or definition in confirmation
letters.  What happens if a new dancer attends wearing what they learned is
proper in their small club?  They've probably spent over $1000 on travel
already to get there.  Are you going to send them home?

Just my 2 cents,

Dave Hinde
 __/, at __    dave at daveswebplace.net
/O____O_|  http://www.evadsti.net