[Squaredancing] 15-Jul-2007 New York Times urban square dance article

Jim Maczko jmaczko at san.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 17:02:08 EDT 2007

The article below appeared in the July 15,2007 - New York Times - is a
reasonably accurate portrayal of our Dance activities.

I would encourage everyone to share this article - with appropriate credit
to the New York Time - to all dancers.  This could be a useful tool to add
credibility to enticing other media to cover our activities.

Jim Maczko - Past Chairman of the Governing Board (2004-2006)
ALLIANCE OF ROUND, TRADITIONAL AND SQUARE-DANCE, INC.
Post Office Box 712918
San Diego, California  92171-2918

619-295-2635

jmaczko at san.rr.com

City Folk Who Feel the Call of the Do-Si-Do
By JOY GOODWIN
Published: July 15, 2007

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Michael Nagle for The New York Times
The Times Squares are comfortable when men partner with men.

IN a church basement decorated with balloons and twinkling lights, 100
dancers organized in four long rows faced their partners. On the stage at
one end, a band began a fiddle-and-banjo tune. As a man rattled off the
names of steps into his mike, the lines on the floor rearranged themselves
in shifting patterns, a controlled whirl of revolving bodies and twirling
skirts.

Less than a mile away in a middle school gym, 20 couples arrayed in five
moving squares let out whoops and hollers as they stamped through promenades
and do-si-dos to a recording of "Sweet Georgia Brown."

It was another Saturday night in the West Village, where every weekend
scores of New Yorkers take part in a folk tradition long associated with
barns and bolo ties: square dancing. Though the pastime's popularity has
declined since 1976, when the National Square Dance Convention in Anaheim,
Calif., drew a record crowd of 40,000, today New York - like Boston,
Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Seattle and dozens of other American cities -
supports a modest but resilient square-dancing and contradancing scene.

Both forms trace their roots to 17th-century English country dancing, and
both use callers - skilled announcers who call out real-time instructions to
the dancers. But while square dancing evolved from the French quadrille,
whose basic unit is four couples in a square, contradancing is organized in
long opposing lines of paired couples.

Country Dance New York is the latest in a series of organizations that have
been holding beginner-friendly contradances since 1951 at the Church of the
Village, at West 13th Street and Seventh Avenue South. The practice of
Modern Western square dancing - which requires newcomers to take a formal
sequence of classes before attending events - is represented by two local
clubs. The itinerant Times Squares, established in 1985, meet at a number of
Manhattan locations, including P. S. 3; and the 29-year-old Al'e'mo Squares
hold dances every other Sunday at a church in Gravesend, Brooklyn.

Today's urban square dancers may check their clubs' schedules on the
Internet and arrive by subway, but there are echoes of square dancing's
small-town past at events sponsored by these New York clubs. All three -
Country Dance New York, the Times Squares and the Al'e'mo Squares - are
mom-and-pop endeavors, organized by volunteers who do everything from
booking the callers to handling the cash box at the door. (Tickets run from
$5 to $10.) Borrowed school gymnasiums and church basements serve as dance
halls, as they do in the rest of the country. All three clubs have potluck
snack tables, and two of the three have 50-50 raffles. And at the Al'e'mo
Squares, dancers often wear the western-style shirts and pioneer skirts
still favored by the country's stricter Modern Western clubs.

But there are also departures from tradition. At a Times Squares event
earlier this year, men in jeans and shorts swung their partners - in most
cases, other men. The group is one of more than 60 gay and lesbian clubs
that have sprung up throughout the United States since the International
Association of Gay Square Dance Clubs was founded in 1983. Though most of
the nation's square-dance clubs still cater to male-female couples, gay
clubs are responsible for a sizable percentage of Modern Western's growth
over the last two decades - especially in cities, where most gay clubs are
located.

At the P. S. 3 gymnasium, the Times Squares' predominantly male dancers
skillfully executed the caller's instructions, unfazed by directives like
"promenade the lady on your right" and "bow to the gentleman on your left."
Dayle Hodge, 45, the event's caller, said that in 25 years he had observed a
few differences between gay and traditional clubs. "At gay clubs the energy
level is typically higher, and the dancers add more flourishes to the
 steps," Mr. Hodge said. Gay dancers, in his experience, tend to be
extremely comfortable with the calls, and many are accustomed to switching
between the man's part and the woman's part as needed. "I can call more
quickly and more intricately at gay clubs," he said. "But gay or straight,
the calls are the same."

Identical calls are used at the Times Squares and the Al'e'mo Squares - and
for that matter, in Tennessee and Wisconsin - because today's Modern Western
clubs support a nationally standardized curriculum developed by the
Callerlab organization. Founded in 1971 by a group of callers, Callerlab
codifies the steps used in square dancing. Its guidelines require dancers to
take several months' worth of classes and master a defined vocabulary of
steps before attending their first event. Thus there is little on-the-spot
teaching at a Modern Western dance - and there are no beginners.

There are, however, several cumulative levels of mastery in Modern Western
square dancing. Dancers can stop at Basic (a program of 53 calls) or
continue through seven more programs to the highest level, with more than
200 calls.

"Modern Western square dancing is like crossword puzzles," said Nick
Martellacci, 55, a Times Squares member who also calls and teaches classes.
"Some people like doing the Reader's Digest puzzle. And there are other
people who aren't happy until they're doing the Sunday Times puzzle in ink,
without a dictionary."

>From a raised platform, Mr. Hodge surveyed the floor as he raced through a
series of calls. He was doing what he calls sight calling, in which the
caller, who has nothing written down, choreographs each dance on the fly,
making sure to reconcile all the patterns to bring the dancers "back home"
to the place where they started by the end of the song.

"Square dancing is a language," Mr. Hodge explained. "The definitions are
given by Callerlab. There are some rules to the language, just as you can't
use eight nouns and no verb in a sentence. But by and large, how I put the
calls together is up to me."

On the floor, the dancers concentrated intently on reacting to a sequence of
calls they had never before heard. The Times Squares are not, however, an
all-work-and-no-play kind of club. As the dancers trekked through the calls,
they improvised flourishes, like bumping hips and slapping hands.

Some wore name badges stamped with the club's name; a smattering of gold
badges designated the club's 10-year members. The participants, most of them
longtime New Yorkers, included nurses, actors, accountants, teachers, a
doctor, a costume designer, a market researcher and a visiting couple from a
club in Oregon. The youngest was 39.

At the Al'e'mo Squares in Brooklyn one spring night, the median age was
considerably higher. Most of the members were retirees, and a member couple's
50th-anniversary party had reduced attendance a bit. Still, the dancers on
hand were an enthusiastic bunch. Most sported western wear in red and white,
the club's signature colors, and several wore club badges festooned with
ribbons and small charms called dangles.

"They're like Boy Scout merit badges," said Walter Lasky, the club's
historian. He pointed to a dog-shaped charm marked "Rover," awarded for
traveling 1,000 miles to dance at another club. And he showed off the club's
"raid banner," where visiting members of other clubs had been affixing their
pins for almost three decades.

A look at the banner revealed why the tradition of "raiding" another club is
on the wane in these parts. Most of the clubs represented - the Ocean Waves
and Richmond Dancers of Staten Island, the Kings Squares of Brooklyn, the
Queens Squares, the Big Apple Squares - are now defunct.

The pins and badges hark back to the 1950s and '60s, when American square
dancing was in its heyday. Like bowling leagues and bridge clubs,
square-dance groups experienced rapid growth in the postwar years before
tapering off in the 1980s. Just as Callerlab fixed a list of standard calls
in 1971, the style and accouterments of Modern Western square dancing seem
to have fossilized in the '60s and early '70s. The traditional square-dance
attire worn by the Al'e'mo Squares and other clubs has less to do with the
Old West than with the fashions featured on television shows like "Lawrence
Welk" or "Hee Haw."

Watching the dancers respond to calls like "star through" and "wheel and
deal," Mr. Lasky of the Al'e'mo Squares nodded approvingly at a visiting
woman who wore what he called "a real square-dancing outfit" - a dress with
a flaring petticoat skirt. In keeping with longstanding tradition, "we
almost insist that the men wear long sleeves," he said. "But summertime is
slowly becoming more casual. The sleeves get shorter. Some men even wear
short pants."

At Country Dance New York one Saturday night, by comparison, there were no
costumes, badges or banners, and no squares - just long lines of paired
dancers. Moreover, a handful of novices - emboldened by a 45-minute beginner
workshop before the dance - were being shepherded along by the seasoned
dancers. Here the caller's role was not to challenge the dancers, but to
bolster them. The democratic spirit of early American square dancing, which
embraced the concept of callers to make it easier for all comers to
participate, was alive and well.

As a live band played an up-tempo fiddle version of "Bei Mir Bist du
 Schoen," each couple danced for 30 seconds with a pair of "neighbors," then
progressed down the line to a new set of neighbors and danced the same
pattern again.

Compared with their Modern Western counterparts, the contradancers looked
young, relaxed and recreational. People in their 20s wearing tie-dyed
T-shirts danced with middle-aged veterans in print skirts and Teva sandals.

Many recalled being introduced to contradancing in college; after moving to
New York, they said, they had looked up the local club on the Internet. The
event's caller was a chemist by day. The entire scene recalled the title of
a 1995 scholarly article about the demographics of contradancing, "Yuppies
Invaded My Tradition at Midnight."

Standing over the potluck table during a break, the perspiring members
described "dawn dances" in New England, where they had promenaded through
the night, and the club's own English country dances, which required further
instruction and had a "more elegant, Jane Austen feeling." More than one
married couple said they had met at a contradance. Members said they prided
themselves on welcoming newcomers and frequently changing partners.

"We're this little displaced group," said Olivia Janovitz, an Upper West
Sider who started dancing with the club in the early 1980s. "We should
probably be in some little town in New England. But instead this is our
small-town community, in the middle of the city."