[Squaredancing] Trying to get the list active again...

Cynde Sadler cynde at twistercom.fi
Wed Jun 4 04:45:30 EDT 2008

In southern Finland where I live we have very few dancers in two clubs and
one caller. Last winter the Sunday group learned A1 calls in a few weeks
during a time when I was unable to attend many Sunday practices. The result
was when I did turn up I was 'out' and have since had to leave that club.
The same thing  is happening at the Thursday group (where I do have more
time to attend but if you  miss a Thursday you are left behind) but it
appears now that there may be no more Plus (or M) dancing in Helsinki next
fall.

I would like to know if there is anything like an intensive weekend A1
course where I could learn A1 and catch up? I am a very fast learner. My
partner has danced A1 some years ago at a course in Sweden. The other choice
may be to drop out of square dancing in Finland. We do go to Sweden, Germany
and US (Maine) a few times a year and dance our little feet off but stick to
Plus (and M) clubs.
We will be in Maine June 13-30 Kansas City July 2-16 and Denver. Then back
to Maine until July 24.
Any suggestions? Are there any videos I could watch and study?
Thanks
Cynde
in Helsinki, Finland

PS Your letter in February said you wanted people to introduce themselves
and still the group remained quiet.
I am an American who lives in Finland and loves to dance. I have a partner
who also dances and we dance square, round, folk and even morris! We have
been trying to conjure up interest in contra which has been slow moving but
lots of  fun. We have started a music club that has REALLY taken off and
last Saturday they spontaneously played  two hours of varied dance music for
a friend's graduation party. I say we get them ready for a real contra!
There are relatively few square dancers in Finland. Two groups in southern
Finland (some of same people just different venue and days) and a few in
northern Finland which is over 6 hours from here. Nothing in between.
The group here is very small and shrinking. There are many levels, the
lowest nowadays is moving from plus to A1 with only a couple of beginners
who may be gone next fall when we start again, unless we start a new
beginners' group. (14-16 week summer break) I don't know what the highest
level is since I'd rather dance than advance to levels.
My partner and I love to travel to Germany and Sweden to dance. In Hamburg
we have found many challenging Plus and even Mainstream clubs and we dance
every evening while we are there. We attend festivals when we can and plan
our US trips around dancing.(somewhat) We are going to Kansas City this year
for the first time ever for another reason but hope to find plenty of
dancing on the side!

Become a seeker of truth, starting with the reality that all of humanity is
one family.
I am not going to tell Americans how to vote this coming November except to
vote for peace. And I will not tell you how to live, but recommend you dance
and think freely rather than wage fundamentalist wars. Give peace a dance.
Dr Glen Barry