[Squaredancing] [Square dancing] Ladies dancing without their clothes on!...

Jimbetsy at aol.com Jimbetsy at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 23:47:02 EDT 2008

Anne,

You are perfectly right about clothing--however, we are going to a party,
and need to look nice. There are places where torn jeans and short shorts are
appropriate, others not so.  I believe in being comforatable and looking  good.

Here is what I wrote Heinz:

Hello Heinz,

We were at the 57th and saw several people in non-traditional attire.   One
lady danced in levis--she mostly danced the boy's part.  I met her  several
year ago when she was asked to leave a national convention as she  refused to
wear traditional attire  . I thought it was bullshit then and  still do.

Of course some people want to push the limits just to see how far they can
go. In today's world in which torn levis, tattoos, and body piercing seem to be
 the norm, maybe we are a last bastion of good taste.

On the other hand, square dancing is a party and we usually get dressed up
to go to a party. On some occasions, only a tuxedo will do. The NEC is free to
demand whatever attire they deem appropriate, but have eased up a lot. Maybe
we can come to a happy medium. At clubs, special festivals, and so on, we
can have "casual" attire.  I like the long sleeved shirts for men and some  sort
of skirt for women. At larger events, we might go to     'proper' or
traditional attire. Proper would probably mean no levis or shorts,  just dressy
slacks, while retaining the long sleeved shirt for men. No tie,  bolo, and so on
required. I think most people will see the beauty of some  of the outfits and go
to them.

Betsy only wears the long prairie skirts, no petticoats, no crinolines, and
she looks just fine! She always looks nicely turned out--clean, well dressed,
AND comfortable.

On choice of venue for a national convention. When we have 6,000 people  come
to Wichita, which has no natural draw, and know that they represent only  the
tip of the iceberg of square dancers, we know we are doing something right.
There may be 60,000 or 600,000 dancers in the USA. They all have fun. Sure,
some  of them are older and have been dancing a long time.  Did you see the
large  contingent of young dancers in Wichita?  They were having a ball too.   Of
course when they danced in a square with other young people, they were pretty
energetic, but they danced with older dancers too and seemed to enjoy it.

One last point.  Square Dancing is not going to "DIE" It is too  much fun. It
will certainly change to meet changing conditions. I know that  I for one,
will dance for the rest of my life, as long as I am physically  capable.

Jim Pead Livingston, Texas
"Your Rovin' Corner

In a message dated 6/29/2008 12:27:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time,