[Squaredancing] Anyone at the NSDC in Louisville?

Richard R. Delgado richd1squarerounddancer at msn.com
Sun Jun 27 23:00:46 EDT 2010

Thank you Dave for your comments about the 59th National Square Dance Convention.
I danced in most of the halls.  I thought the sound volume was louder than I prefer in several of the halls.  There were lots of reflective (hard) surfaces but dancers were able to hear the music and calls/cues clearly.
The concrete floors were hard on most dancers feet and bodies.    I heard one woman complain about other women wearing tank tops but I did not see the "offending" outfits.  I noticed that almost all of the dancers on the dance floor were wearing outfits that would pass accepted standards for past conventions.  There were limited number of male dancers wearing short sleeve shirts.  I only noticed one woman wearing slacks but I did not note if she was dancing the boy's part.  I did notice quite a few of the registrants that were not dancing were not wearing square dance apparel (including many of the vendors).  Lets also keep in mind that people may go to or from the Expo Center because they plan to go on one of the tours or to attend panels and seminars.
I danced a tip with Stephanie Henerlau.  She was in the square that won the competition.  Her parents were also in the winning square.  (Her dad, Eric, is a wonderful caller.)  The people I spoke to from other squares were happy with the way the competition was run.
The shuttle from my hotel (Courtyard by Marriott) was much more convenient than my bus pass.  It was never clear when a bus would actually arrive/depart, the signs indicating where the bus was going were small and hard to read.  Bus departures were NOT frequent.  The bus pick-up for my hotel was not in the hotel parking lot as I had expected.  The signs did not include all of the hotels on the route.  Fortunately the bus drivers were good about getting people back to the correct hotels, even if they did not get on the correct bus.  The bus transportation people were good about telling me that the last bus was about to leave the Expo Center Saturday evening (then I sat on the bus for about 20 minutes before departure, watching two shuttles from my hotel take people back before the bus departure).  I look forward to the people mover in Detroit.
There was an ice cream vendor in the Expo Center.  I believe they were a local dairy.  They sold lots and lots of ice cream.  I especially enjoyed the Strawberry!  In addition to national chains, the Expo Center had food from the Kentucky Cattleman's Association and a pork purveyor.
I enjoyed the Convention and I think most people had the same overall experience.
Rich DelgadoLawrenceville, New Jersey