[Squaredancing] Elevator Speeches

Mike Gormley WA8VEC at ARRL.NET
Mon Nov 14 12:38:17 EST 2011

I posted this on another mailing list a few days ago and received no

For those who may not know what an "Elevator Speech" is, it is a short,
memorized and practiced, 60 second sales talk given to the  listener,
where you are promoting something.   You only have 60 seconds to spend
with the person, because once the elevator doors open, you both go your
separate directions, maybe to never see them again.  The same situation
could be at a check out counter of a store, standing at the corner
waiting to cross the street, at a party as you are mingling, in the
lobby of the dentist office while you are making your next appointment
(ouch!), or paying your bill at the water department, etc.

I don't have one, but started to think about working on one.

For quick promotional purposes, is there anyone on this list, who has
an "Elevator Speech" for square dancing and wishes to share it here?
It would be appreciated, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Some topic ideas I was going to play with:  fun, fellowship, family
activity, low impact exercise, stimulates the brain, non alcoholic, non
smoking, lasting friendships, economical, dance around the world,
teamwork, ....  (all (or less)  in 50 seconds)

To me,  the last 10 seconds should leave the listener with a method to
contact you.   Maybe that is when you hand them your card.  Or even
better, a way for you to contact them.  (Carry a note pad, pen and get
their info)

Once the 60 second version is complete, maybe a 20 second version would
be in order.    I am thinking of a moment in my car at a stop light
talking to my neighbor in the other traffic lane,  because he saw my
square dancing license plate.

--
Mike Gormley
Sebring, FL