[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Thu Jan 1 07:08:52 EST 2015

On 2015-01-01, johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk <johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 January 2015 04:26:44 UTC, Hein RMS van den Heuvel  wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the update. I also suggested (to Sue) to at the very
>> least bring it back to Nemonix, but there are better offers out there
>> it seems.

They thought of that, but there was apparently some issue stopping them
from doing it.

> This may be a daft question: if the community is as important as
> (more important than?) the ownership of the box(es) in question,
> and the lack of community/box is hurting, and there are genuine
> offers to provide an alternative box in a timely and affordable
> manner...
>
> Why isn't at least one of the volunteers actually doing something,
> supported by 'the community', at least on an interim basis?

It's not just a matter of hosting a few files. To recreate Eisner,
you would need to image the entire system before then moving the
image to another host and then arrange for a new image from the
temporary system to be written back to Eisner when it becomes
available once again.

> Are there, for example, issues of ownership of **user data** from
> EISNER, issues which have prevented some or all of the user data
> simply being restored on another setup in another place?

The user data isn't just the data living in user directories.

It also includes things like the Notes database (as well as the other
shared stuff), which is a major part of what makes Eisner, well, Eisner.

> If that is the case, would there be any value in a bare VMS+LP
> install? Obviously it wouldn't be the same. Would it be better
> than nothing, for sufficient people to make it worthwhile.

There would be no value in this; the resulting system would not be
Eisner.

VSI have clearly encountered issues bringing up a new computer room
and I do wonder, if VSI are having this amount of trouble building a
new computer network due to unforseen issues, what impact this is
going to have on the development schedule for newVMS.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP