[Info-vax] Kittson question

cmexec at gmail.com cmexec at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 09:53:18 EST 2015

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:05:04 PM UTC-5, Stanley F. Quayle wrote:
> There was a single-card Alpha that was intended to be used for embedded
> applications. I'm not sure if it was ever successful.

We looked at that.  Unfortunately DEC decided only to support digital UNIX
on it, not VMS.  We were not willing to bet anybody's UNIX on the timing we
needed and were already getting with VAX 4000 under VMS for a hard real-time
application which originally ran under RSX on a PDP-11/70.  We had already
seen how using the wrong disk bus on a VAX-11/785 interfered with our timing
because MSCP related code was running at elevated IPL.