[Info-vax] Eisner's PAKs, was: Re: Can't get hobbyist licenses from Openvmshobbyist

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Jan 7 16:21:34 EST 2015

On 2015-01-07 20:58:42 +0000, Simon Clubley said:

> On 2015-01-07, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> VSI has a PAK generator.  :-)
>>

> That doesn't mean it's legal for VSI to use it to generate the Eisner
> PAKs however. :-)
>
> I suspect HP would get seriously upset if VSI did that without
> permission from HP. Don't forget that VSI only obtained certain rights
> from HP; they didn't buy the VMS code outright.

Beyond what's been announced, I certainly don't know the complete list
of rights that HP has granted to VSI here.   VSI may well have the
right to create and license stuff for their own use, and Eisner is
clearly being integrated into the VSI network.  That sort of a grant
wouldn't be that far-fetched either, as VSI are probably going to want
to test mixed-architecture clusters, and they might end up with larger
responsibilities for maintenance.    Which means they either need
licenses from HP, or they can generate their own for internal use.
And who knows; we might see OpenVMS Alpha T8.4-1H1 installed on it,
when the box is brought back online.   :-)

But it was a *joke*.