[Info-vax] BACKUP to nfs-share, some files are modified

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Fri Jan 30 09:09:26 EST 2015

wolfgangburgerunread at gmail.com skrev den 2015-01-30 14:56:
> Am Freitag, 30. Januar 2015 12:09:26 UTC+1 schrieb Jan-Erik Soderholm:
>> I have put Alpha version of zip/unzip here:
>> http://jescab2.dyndns.org/pub_docs/zip.axp_exe
>> http://jescab2.dyndns.org/pub_docs/unzip.axp_exe
>
> Thank you very much for the binaries and the instructions. I didn´t know
> that you can just run an executable(wow, sounds stupid), without
> linking/installing it first.

These EXEs are rather simple and doesn't realy on very much
from the system itself. Other EXEs might have more trouble...

There can be cases where one has trouble copying/FTP the EXE.
Sometimes I have produced a UUENCODE file on the source system
and then copied by cut-n-paste between two terminal emulator
windows to finaly UUDECODE on the terget system. That way the
transfer as such us is pure text. Can be mailed and so on.

> This looks promising. I´m creating ZIPs of the folder structures I value
> the most and then FTP them away.
>
> I´m still going to create a BACKUP/IMAGE of most of the stuff, just in
> case. But the ZIPs are so much easier to handle and especially verify on
> the receiving side.

If you ZIP the BACKUP files also, you will have no trouble to FTP
these files without surprices. You have to UNZIP on a VMS system
to be able to use them. And use the ZIP switches to preserve the
VMS file attributes.

Jan-Erik.