[Info-vax] VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM bugs

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 6 16:05:36 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-06 19:32:12 +0000, Alan Frisbie said:

> I have found some problems with the VMS v8.4 Documentation CDROM,
> but do not know where or how to report them.   Can someone here
> point me at the correct person?

VSI is getting their bug-tracking online for the release.  What sort of
access will be available, we don't yet know.

> The problem arose when I decided to keep the entire doc set online
> so I didn't have to keep digging out the CD.   This would be OK
> on a Windoze system or any other which has a case-insensitive file
> system.   However, I am using Linux.

Then you should be able to host the disks on FAT32 / VFAT, too?

> The HTML is inconsistent in using lower or UPPER case for file
> names.   Likewise, the actual file names vary in being lower or
> UPPER case.   Sometimes they match up, sometimes they don't.
> If they match up, the links work and I can easily get to the
> manual I want.   If they don't, it is a pain in the backside.

I've heard reports about that misbehavior before.

> The problem does not show up if you are reading directly from
> the CDROM on Linux, because the file system for CDs forces
> case insensitivity.   It only shows up if you copy the CD to
> your hard drive for performance or convenience purposes.
>
> Who is responsible for the documentation these days?   HP?  VSI?

HP probably won't be doing much in the way of documentation updates, so
VSI is the path forward.

Find or write some tools that post-process the HTML and fix the errors
for the immediate issue.

Or host on OpenVMS (host-based InfoServer or otherwise) or via OS X or
Windows boxes, yes.

> I would be happy to work with the documentation team (person?)
> to resolve these problems.   If there is no such person assigned
> to this, I'm willing to take on the job and do it all myself.
> I'm retired now, so my rates are very reasonable.   :-)

There'll be more than a little VSI work with TTI Document and the other
pieces involved here, certainly.

VSI will undoubtedly be making a bunch of decisions about their
document production processes here, too.