[Info-vax] Disposition of DEC Collection - Questions

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Wed May 13 08:37:40 EDT 2015

In article <mituc9$uqk$1 at news.albasani.net>,
	Jan-Erik Soderholm <jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> writes:
> glen herrmannsfeldt skrev den 2015-05-12 19:59:
>> In alt.sys.pdp11 Jeff Shirley <jeff at ihatespam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After over a decade of not having time to enjoy it, I realize I need to pass
>>> on my collection of DEC hardware to those who can.  It consists mostly of
>>> Q-bus systems and parts, but also includes VAXStations, terminals, tapes,
>>> manuals, catalogs, DECUS literature, a couple of DEC 3000/500s---tons of stuff
>>> (literally), more than I can remember.
>>
>> (snip)
>>> Back then there was a fair amount of anti-Ebay sentiment.  Is that still the
>>> case?  Is Usenet still the center for this type of activity, or has another
>>> medium taken over?  Any suggestions (other than "Give it all to me!")?  ;^)
>>
>> There is a lot of overpriced stuff on eBay, so I am not surprised that
>> there is such sentiment.
>>
>> If you ask reasonable prices,...
>
> When I had leftover hardware (like graphic cards, memory DIMMs and
> similar easy-to-ship items), that would have gone to the recycling
> otherwise, I simply put a starting price of $0.01 and a shipping
> that I know covers my S&H costs. Then it might end as it likes...
>
> Starting at $0.01 gives very high visability and often ends
> higher then one would have expected before.

I assume by DIMMs and graphics cards you mean more modern PC stuff
rather than PDP-11's.  When I still lived int he city and was closing
down my home research datacenter in anticipation of moving and retiring
I just put stuff on the sidewalk in front of the house on a well
traveled road.  People always seem to be willing to stop and take it.

Doubt that would work for PDP or VAX.  I did have one of the neighborhood
kids ask me if I had any Apple ]['s to give away, though.  :-)

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |