[Info-vax] upgrading from VMS 7.3-2 and TCPIP 5.4 ECO 7 to VMS 8.4 and TCPIP 5.7

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 17 09:14:57 EDT 2015

I upgraded a while back, but had read so much about the difficulties of
this TCPIP upgrade and the lack of documentation concerning it,
especially with respect to SMTP, that I have put off looking at it until
now, and avoided using TCPIP on the upgraded node.

I was surprised about two things.  First, it doesn't appear that any of
the TCPIP$* files were modified by the upgrade (yes, I did move files
back to the system disk for the upgrade).  Second, although I haven't
done any extensive tests, it seems that everything just works.

What am I missing?

I haven't re-configured TCPIP since the upgrade.  Is this necessary?

Are the 5.7 and 5.4 configuration files compatible with each other, i.e.
could I reconfigure with common files?  Or do I have to reconfigure, use
these as the new common files then upgrade the other nodes?