[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Sun May 24 14:44:55 EDT 2015

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) skrev den 2015-05-24 19:50:>
> No.  I have UPDATE5.  Normally, when there are problems, the first
> question is whether all patches are up to date.  Obviously, as a
> hobbyist I don't have access to newer patches (UPDATE10 is out now) and
> don't want to violate any terms of the hobbyist license.
>
> Of course, if someone responsible says that it is OK for me to install a
> newer patch and see what happens, then I'm willing to do that, but I
> would prefer to stick with the official hobbyist kit.
>
> Maybe someone with access to the 8.4 patch release notes can see if
> there is any thing related to looping processes involving CDE and/or
> DECwindows and if so let me know which patch it is in.

Nothing found using "DECW" or "CDE" when searching the UPDATE 6, 7,
8, 9 or 10 RELEASE_NOTES files. Not *one* single reference to either
of this character strings.

"decwindows" gets one hit in the 8.4 UPDATE patches:

"An event generated by the mouse such as scrolling the mouse wheel
while a USB mouse is being plugged-in or while DECwindows is
starting up, might cause a system crash.
This problem has been fixed."

But that is in UPDATE5 and you already have that one.

Also searched for "DECW" on the "Find OpenVMS patches" page at HP.
I get one hit in "DECset V12.8 ECO3 release for OpenVMS Alpha" if
I select VMS 8.4.

So, as I read it, there have been no updates or patches in regard
to DECwindows since the initial 8.4 release at all (apart from the
"mouse event" fix above).

Regards,
Jan-Erik.

   Maybe a newer