[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 16:09:03 EDT 2015

In article <55621288$0$29555$c3e8da3$e074e489 at news.astraweb.com>, JF
Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> writes:

> Have you tried to boot the conventional DECWindows environment instead
> of CDE ?

No, but I don't think I've ever done that on ALPHa.

> Have you tried disabling decwindows at boot, then telnet to the host and
> manually execute the decw$startup procedures with set verify on to see
> where it hangs ?

There is STARTUP.LOG.  I can restart the server and get the same
behaviour as at startup.  With verify.  I can't see anything.  It
doesn't hang anywhere.  The loop is in an executable, so verify doesn't
help me.

> Also, in your autogen parameters look at any value that is set
> explicitely as opposed to MIN_chocolate=200

I never set any value which works with MIN_ explicitly; I always use
MIN_.

> Your upgrade procedure may have changed some parameters but your autogen
> params may have reverted to pre 8.4 values when running it after the
> upgrade.

That seems like the likeliest explanation, but comparing the parameters
shows nothing drastically different, and I even reloaded the last
working parameters to no effect.