[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Mon May 25 13:50:50 EDT 2015

On 15-05-25 04:43, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

> Yes, I upgraded directly from 7.3-2, which is a supported upgrade path.

Depends on whether the upgrade procedure was done by the former
engineers or the brand spanking new team with only 2 weeks of training.

They may not have really tested 7.3 to 8.4 in your config.

What you would then want to know is what changed between 8.3 and 8.4 in
terms of autogen (whcih parameters it deals with, what calculations it
makes).

The patches issued since 8.4.0  would have fixed run-time problems, but
the 8.4.0 kit which contains the upgrade procedure wouldn't have been
updated.

Have any of the patches updated autogen.com ?

Question: does anyone know which shareable images are used for LOCAL
transport ? Should that image be installed , which privileges ?

> But remember, it initially worked after the upgrade from 7.3-2 to 8.4.
> It was only after the AUTOGEN and reboot that it stopped working.

Ahhhh.... there you go. Do you have a backup of the  sysgen .PAR file
from before autogen ?
SYSGEN> USE <old file>  (yes, you can specify a filename in USE)
SYSGEN> SHOW/ALL/OUTPUT=before
SYSGEN> USE CURRENT
SYSGEN> SHOW/ALL/output=after
SYSGEN> EXIT
$DIFF before after

AUTOGEN generally does a fine job for the obvious parameters, but can be
funky with obscure parameters that it doesn't adjust properly.

Also, check that none of the application specific files that are pulled
into modparams.dat specify explicit values.