[Info-vax] Micro Focus Merger with Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Software Business Segment

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu Sep 8 15:23:44 EDT 2016

Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2016-09-07, Neil Rieck <n.rieck at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Micro Focus Merger with Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Software
>> Business Segment
>>
>> Today Micro Focus announced its intention to merge with HPE Software
>> and subject to the satisfaction of a number of conditions including
>> shareholder and regulatory approvals, the merger is anticipated to
>> complete in Q3 2017.
>>
>> The combination of Micro Focus and HPE Software will deliver
>> outstanding product capability to support today's key IT and business
>> initiatives in Mobile, Cloud, DevOps, Internet of Things, Big Data and
>> Analytics.
>>

> %BUZZWORD-F-STACKOVERFLOW, document buzzword limit exceeded
>
> I can't tell from this press release if VMS is going to Micro Focus
> or not and the HP press release isn't any clearer either.
>
> The above buzzwords implies it's the fashionable stuff Micro Focus
> are interested in, but the HP press release talks about moving the
> non-core software assets to Micro Focus.
>
> I'm assuming VMS is on it's way to Micro Focus, but does anyone
> know for sure ?
>
> Simon.

I'm going to assume (yeah, I know, that's bad) that HP doesn't have VMS to
transfer to anyone anymore.  Perhaps the VSI agreement wasn't exclusive, but
even then, who would work on it?

Or are you thinking that Micro Focus will be re-selling the VSI product?

As for the thought of "who would work on it", I got a call yesterday about one
of the programs I donated to the VMS freeware.  Ex-DEC VMS guy, (he claimed) and
somehow the discussion got to moving VMS development to India.  I got an ear
full about how the people in India didn't seem to have a clue, things didn't
work as needed, and "documentation" was a word the people in India didn't seem
to understand.

Definitely hear-say, but, I did hear it ....

:-)