[Info-vax] VMS and the Internet of Things (IoT)

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 09:34:21 EDT 2016

Things
> (IoT)

[snip..]

> Unfortunately Kerry times change and so do
> requirements. Embedded systems are no longer great
> big boxes that you boot from hard disks or other
> external devices and which have only a few system
> hardware configurations that are fully known to the
> manufacturer of the operating system in question.

Well, while all things certainly do change, here is
good example of where OpenVMS is today being promoted
as an integral part of a modern process control ISV
solution: (multi-platform solution that includes
OpenVMS).

http://www.vista-control.com/
http://www.vista-control.com/operating_systems.html
http://www.vista-control.com/pdf/vsystem%20description.
pdf

And yes, OpenVMS is still today used in many mission
critical process control environments like SCADA.

Posted 2015 SCADA testimonial:
http://www.qeisolutions.com/uploads/2/6/1/8/26185369/ne
w_jersey_municipal_selects_qei__for_ilex_system_upgrade
_qei.pdf
"Because of past experience with SCADA, the city wanted
to make sure that the new system would not only address
the needs of 2013/2014, but would prepare them for the
emerging smart grid environment of the next several
decades."

"The original system architecture of multiple SCADA
server with traditional hardwired remote terminal units
was to be expanded to include physical separation of
the servers (for increase hardening to catastrophic
failure) and the full incorporation of Intelligent
Electronic devices (IEDs). In order to avoid the
previous problem with obsoleting of the OS/2 operating
system, a well-established and continuing SCADA
operating system was required, and this was addressed
through the QEI  use of OpenVMSR from Hewlett Packard.
The worldwide use of OpenVMS in mission critical
applications will help insure continuing support and
enhancement for the life of the system"

Does this answer the question of being capable of
addressing the mid-tier layer in the IoT world??

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com