[Squaredancing] When in Rome.....

Clark Baker cmbaker at tiac.net
Wed Dec 21 16:41:01 EST 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 11:30 AM, Lars Erik Morell ((AL/EAB)) wrote:

> I once was at a caller clinic held by Dave Wilson in Barmstedt Germany.
> I was dancing in Dave's demo square with some US callers and some
> German
> and Danish callers. There were three palms up (aka chicken wings), two
> downs (aka penguin), one forearm, one horizontal with handhold and me.
> Of course nobody wanted to change but me. So having a
> me/down/up/forearm
> wave was interesting when the call was Swing Thru.
> I had to Arm Turn Right down. Take forearm with left. And Arm Turn left
> with forearm and take handhold up with right. Etc

One might wish that someone, perhaps Callerlab, just set some standards
and made everyone stick to them.  In a sense Callerlab's styling
committee did this back in the 1970's.  My understanding is that it
involved a lot of after midnight dancing and trying each of the
suggestions.  The styling committee wrote up a recommended styling.
However, New England didn't change, and the A&C communities do their
own thing.

Here is an old piece of e-mail on the subject that I sent on this list
in 1997...