[Squaredancing] What is a Singles Club

ljknews ljknews at mac.com
Sat Jan 15 14:15:10 EST 2005

At 10:44 AM -0800 1/15/05, Bill wrote:
>Have not found any web presence of any singles clubs in Orange County.  Does anyone have any info if they still exist or when/were they dance?

To split a topic:

What is a singles club ?

The national association says it is one composed of members who are not
married. But I was interested more in the operational definition used
by the average dancer, such as in the question above.

In Eastern Massachusetts the two clubs I would classify as singles
clubs don't have that as a basis at all.  One sees people dance with a
different partner each tip (by custom rather than by regulation), and
the other is not even that definite, even though "Single" is in their
name.

I exclude the local gay club.  Under Massachusetts law that could be
composed entirely of gay married couples, but it does not work that
way because:

	a) Not all members of the gay square dance club are gay
	b) Close to none of the gay members are in a situation
	   where their life partner (married or not) is also
	   a square dancer.

The club where I learned is certainly not a "singles club" but has a
reasonable fraction of the members who come without partners.

A neighboring club has a strict rule that you cannot become a member
unless you are a married couple.
--
Larry Kilgallen