[Squaredancing] RE: [Square-dancing] Re: funny clothes

James W. Spinks James.W.Spinks.1 at arczip.com
Fri Jul 22 05:42:27 EDT 2005

Group,

I have been a SD'r (Square Dancer) since Sept. 1966 when I
was a Junior in HS. Below describes how I became a square
dancer.

A classmate introduced me and several other classmates to it
via a first nighter. She (the classmate) asked me a several others to
party on a Friday night a couple of weeks down the road, that she
was going to attend.

I asked her how'd I get to it as I didn't drive yet (at a rec. center
in Wheaton Md) 9 or 10 miles from the HS we attended.  She said she
and her older brother who drove, would pick us up and take us to it.
My classmate and her brother showed up in his 1962 Ford Falcon
in "Funny Clothes/Outfits" (Square Dance attire...didn't know it was
a square dance first nighter) I was shocked, ask her if it was a
costume party and had she forgotten to tell me. She said "No", I
would see what was going on when I got to the rec center.  It was
a first nighter for the "Teen" square dance club she and her brother
belonged to. Also her brother was one of the club's 3 teen callers.

The Square Dance attire adds to the fun of square dancing. The thing
I most HATE is people who show up in BLUE JEANS and Blue Jean Shirts.
I have seen BOTH Men and Women at dances in BLUE JEANS. A matter of
fact there are TWO couples in one of my clubs that have several MATCHING
Blue JEAN outfits with "TIE-DYE" patches on the knees and elbows and
pockets of the jeans and shirts.

The WHOLE purpose of Square Dancing attire is to eliminate the FALSE
impression that MOST Americans have that Square Dance is a Back Road
Rural "HICK" activity.

To Relate other story tied to the "HICK" mentally associated with Square
Dancing. The various teen clubs in Metro Washington DC area at that time
(mid to late 1960's) would sponsor Spring and Fall Teen Festivals, usually
the Spring one would be held in the Maryland suburbs and the Fall one
in the Northern Virginia suburbs at a local junior high or high school gym.
One occasion the school custodian staff had covered the gym floor with
hay and instead of pulling out the bleacher stand/seats had place piles
of hay bales.  When the custodian was asked what was going on, he said
he was helping us "decorate the place" because "Square Dancing is done
in a Farmer's barn"

The other thing I hate is when TV stations deride Square Dancing as
"HICK". To get more people into Modern Western SD we need to educate
the Media and the Public that Square Dancing is NOT repeat NOT a HICK
activity. Also the public schools systems in this country usually
use "Classic" (Virginia Reel, Turkey in the Straw, etc) music when
and if they have square dancing as part of the PE class requirement
for dancing.

Paul Hartman, a well know local square dance caller in the Wash. DC. and
Suburban Md. area worked as Volunteer, with the Montgomery County Rec.
Department and the County's schools to attempt to use Mod. West. Square
Dancing in the Junior and Senior High Schools PE program.

Happy Square Dancing,
Jim Spinks